Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wool Sweaters

These are very cold days here in the state of many lakes; frigid, frosty, sub-zero days that drive even the heartiest among us into hibernation mode. For our own good, essentially. Hypothermia and frozen extremeties are not appealing prospects.

Appropriate attire, of course, makes life much more comfortable. For me the key to surviving the winter is one, or preferable two, good wool sweaters. Although it's sometimes hellish to extract myself from bed on winter mornings, an immediate transfer from down comforter to awaiting wool sweater makes the transition almost bearable. I only wish there were more things in life that could instantly alleviate my problems like a wool sweater on a cold morning.

It's Sunday and I have the day off which is rather sad because a busy B&B owner is rarely idle on Sundays. Typically I would be serving breakfast to a full house then sitting around chatting with my guests until we all eventually realize that the "official" check out time has come and gone. After everyone packs up and leaves I spend the rest of the day returning the inn to a state of pristine cleanliness and order, ready to accomodate the next group of travelers.

January is always slow but with the recent descent in economic conditions, I'm suffering more than usual this year from the winter slump. The extreme cold and abundant snowfall probably hasn't helped much either. So I'm hanging on, hoping that Valentine's Day will save me in February, and resting assured that Spring will bring it's usual flow of college touring kids with their parents in tow, and local couples reveling in the romantic effects of spring fever. Tax refunds also typically boost my business, but I fear that this year many might be applying the funds to other necessities or just saving the money for future use. Impossible to predict, but no sense in worrying about it. We will, no doubt, survive this temporary turmoil.

Having a second job has helped. Although I once thought my days of waiting tables were behind me, a part time lunch gig seemed the most practical and lucrative option to fill my 10am-2pm availability (the gap in between serving breakfast and checking in guests). Of course, I have less free time these days, but the need to allocate and budget my off hours tends to make me more productive. In theory, at least. I haven't been working out as regularly and our meals lately have tended to be of the hastily assembled variety. Oh well. So the Super Pam trophy will not be mine this year. I can live with that.

This blogging thing could prove to be another free time consumer but I'm going to make an effort to keep it going. Of course, one could spend hours just perusing the blogs of others. I was amazed to see how many people out there also have a need to write and share and interface with the world of web dwellers. Pretty cool just to see how many of us display an interest in the same authors, movies, musicians and demonstrate a desire to express ourselves in words and images. We are all creative beings to be celebrated and appreciated.

A wonderful Sunday to all of you!! Blessings,

Pamela

4 comments:

  1. I have come here from Cherie/ Butterfly Dreamer's blog.
    I have read some of your posts and would like to revisit.

    If you like short stories and paintings, then a visit to my blogs would be an interesting one for you.

    Naval Langa
    SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA
    PAINTINGS GALLERIES

    Another Interesting Blog
    BIG CITIES OF INDIA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mon Dieu!! Your home, your cats, your entire life looks wonderful!!! I've never been north of the Mason-Dixon line, but I've enjoyed visiting the north via your blog. Keep blogging. Your life makes me smile. And visit me "in Louisiana", too! I, too, love short stories, painting and CATS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Pamela

    I have read both of your posts. You write giving a feeling to the reader that you are sitting just on a opposite chair of the table and are talking; so lucid is your language and honesty visible in the words. I would love to read more from you.
    Keep meeting here.

    Naval Langa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog, Pamdog! Your feline friends are the kings or queens of all they survey, from the looks of things. I have never been to Minnesota, so appreciate the views of life there. I hope the B and B picks up and that you are able to find a spiritual home that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

The Magic Door

The Magic Door
our home & business

Binkley on patrol

Binkley on patrol
all calm in the neighborhood

3 out of 4

3 out of 4